Call (718) 504-5510

Mold Testing, Removal Remediation,Inspection
Mold Remediation Staten Island NYMold Testing Staten Island NYMold Inspection Staten Island NY

Why People Become Sick From Mold

Mold Removal, Mold Testing, Richmond County NY

Every person has a different chemical reaction when exposed to mold. You see, every person's immune system works differently. We all have a different capability for warding off disease. Some people will grow deathly ill from exposure to mycotoxins while others will not even notice them. Mycotoxins are the spores that mold sends into the air to protect itself. This is also why they are so dangerous to human health. Generally speaking people with weak or compromised immune systems will feel much worse when exposed to the mycotoxins of mold. Below is more information about the effects of mold exposure along with a list of symptoms to look out for.

The Affects of Mold Exposure

Every person has a different genetic make up and therefore a different functioning immune system. Hence the reason why everyone has a different allergic reaction to mycotoxin exposure. A persons symptoms will vary based upon your immunity, the type of mold you have been exposed to, and how long you are exposed to it. If you suffer from varying health symptoms and your family doctor has no answer as to why this is happening, it is likely your environment is playing a role in this. It is usually the air inside your house or even your workplace that's causing your illness. Do you know if there is a history of past water damage either at work or in your home? Do you see staining on any ceiling areas? Is there a leak in the air conditioning system? Does your health improve once you exit this environment and feel bad again once you come back?

Mold Remediation, Mold Inspection, Richmond County NY
Dementia is a common symptom
of Toxic Mold Poisoning

Here are some Common Symptoms of Mold Poisoning

Symptoms of Fungal Exposure(Mycotoxicosis)

Susan Lillard-Roberts

Executive Director at The Mold Help Organization

Company Description:The Mold Help Organization is a private non-profit corporation that assists, educates, advocates, advises, counsels and refers people whose lives are impacted by the effects of mold poisoning and recognize systemic fungal disease as a national health crisis. Our board includes experts involving health, nutrition, indoor air quality.

Mold toxicity is often the end result with constant exposure to mold of a toxic substance.  A common misconception among allergists who are untrained in this type of toxicity levels in humans, which is technically not their area of expertise unless they have trained specifically in environmental medicine with their  background in immunology, is to do general allergen testing.  Most tests usually result in an unequivocal result, a 2+ or less.  This induces some physicians to order allergy shots, regardless.  These shots are absolutely worthless (and could possibly be harmful) to a person who has been heavily exposed to these mycotoxins as they are already in a state of toxicity.  If anything, this could exacerbate the problem.  Because many doctors are not trained in this field, they may try to "guess" at a diagnosis. 

In laymen's terms, molds produce mycotoxins.  These substances, although unseen by the naked eye, are ingested and then enter the body through the skin, mucous and airways.  Once ingested, mold has the requirements to colonize and spread.  In doing this, it can compromise the immune system and damage everyday processes of the body.  Mold and yeast are interchangeable only in their dimorphic state, which is often a big misconception, although both are fungi. There has been a theory of a connection between Autism Spectrum Disorder onset and Candida Albicans in the body.  New studies are being conducted during the first quarter of 2006.  Updates will follow.

The following are a list of the most common symptoms of fungal exposure (bear in mind, people never fit all of below criteria):
  • Fibromyalgia/mps (and several correlated symptoms)
  • Respiratory distress, coughing, sneezing, sinusitis
  • Difficulty swallowing, choking, spitting up (vomiting) mucous
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • Burning in the throat and lungs (similar to acid reflux and often misdiagnosed as such)
  • Asthmatic signs; wheezing, shortness in breath, coughing, burning in lungs, etc.
  • Irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, diarrhea, sharp abdominal pains, stomach lesions
  • Bladder, liver, spleen, or kidney pain
  • Dark or painful urine
  • Dirt-like taste in mouth, coated tongue
  • Food allergies/leaky gut syndrome/altered immunity
  • Memory loss; brain fog, slurred speech, occasionally leading to dementia
  • Vision problems
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Large boils on neck (often a sign of anaphylaxis)
  • Yellowing of nails, ridges, or white marks under nail
  • Thyroid irregularities, sometimes leading to complete dysfunction; adrenal problems
  • Headaches
  • Anxiety/depression, heart palpitations - confusion, PTSD
  • Extreme blood pressure, cholesterol, or triglycerides irregularities
  • Ringing in ears, balance problems (very common), dizziness, loss of hearing (aspergillus niger)
  • Chronic fatigue (also included under this classification directional confusion)
  • Intermittent face flushing; almost always systemic, Called the Mylar Flush (neurological))
  • Night head sweats, and drooling while sleeping, profuse sweating
  • Multiple chemical sensitivity; only upon exposure to Stachybotrys and Chaetomium
  • Nose bleeds (stachybotrys)
  • Bruising/scarring easily; rash or hives, bloody lesions all over the skin (Often systemic, see images; skin)
  • Reproductive system complications; infertility, changes in menstrual cycles, miscarriage
  • Sudden weight changes (Detoxifier genotypes tend to gain weight, non-detoxifier genotypes tend to lose weight)
  • Cancer
  • Hair loss, very brittle nails, temporary loss of fingerprints (in rare cases)
  • Joint/muscle stiffness and pain
  • Irregular heart beat/heart attack
  • Seizures, inadvertent body jerking, twitching, inadvertent facial movements or numbness in face
  • Hypersensitivity when re-exposed to molds, which can lead to anaphylaxis
  • Anaphylaxis upon re-exposure to mycotoxin producing molds
  • Death, in extreme cases

Different mold species can have varying health effects, but it is important to remember that any excessive mold growth needs to be taken care of, regardless of the species. Any excessive mold growth can lead to increased allergies, toxicity, and house/building structural problems.

Susan Lillard-Roberts
Executive Director at The Mold Help Organization

Call (718) 504-5510

Absolutely Spotless Mold Testing, Mold Removal, Mold Inspection, Mold
Remediation, in Richmond County NY

Absolutely Spotless is the name to trust for all of your water damage needs. We have a certified staff that truly cares about your remediation service needs. The remedial services we offer include bathrooms, attics, crawl spaces and basements in addition to any other area of your home where contamination concerns may occur. We at Absolutely Spotless are the most experienced local authority and the most qualified to handle all of your Basement Mold Removal Staten Island NY, Mold Inspection Staten Island NY, Basement Mold Testing Staten Island NY, Basement Mold Remediation Staten Island NY, issues. We can even send you a certified mold inspector to inspect the damage to your home the same day you call. You will also be happy to know that we also make it our job to answer the phone when you call us for our help.